Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Homemade Gifts 2

Well I'm a little late in posting this week...too many commitments and not enough time...but I did manage to make a batch of Lavender Bath Salts, so I thought I would share the results with you!

I bought so many bundles of lavender from Trader Joe's a few weeks ago, that I have been busy using it for everything!  You might remember when I did my first post on homemade gifts and made Sugar Scrub, well this is another easy gift I like to keep on hand.

Oh, and by the way, this little corner that I have been dragging everything to to photograph, it's in my son's room.  We recently installed an unfinished hardwood floor in his room and then painted it white *sigh* I am loving it!!  As we wait for it to dry thoroughly, I have been using it to do all of my "photo sessions."  I tried convincing my family that we should keep it as my photography studio and that Braden could just keep sleeping on Halena's floor, but no one else thought that was a good idea :)  So this weekend, it will again become a little boy's room {more on that coming soon!}.

Just like for the sugar scrub, I pick up pretty vintage jars at the flea market when I can find them for a good price and use them for holding my different homemade gifts.  I also embellish regular canning I used a vintage map to cover the top of  this canning jar.  I just thought it was pretty so I went with it!  The possibilities are endless and you can decorate your jars anyway you like!!

For the lavender bath salts I follow the recipe that Mountain Rose Herbs suggests.  You can find an instructional video *HERE*  It's super easy and all natural.

Here are a few more pictures from my little photo shoot...because you know how much I like to practice with my camera :) :)

I'm a little obsessed with soaps, especially lavender ones {organic of course}! :)

Here you can just barely see the muslin bags I make to go with the bath salts.  If you add dried herbs {like lavender} to your bath salt, it is a good idea to put it in a muslin bag before adding it to your bath so that when you drain the water the herbs don't clog up the drain.  I "pretty up" my muslin bags by pounding fresh flowers onto the front of the bag so that they leave a little imprint.  Sorry I didn't get a better shot of this for you.

Thanks so very much for stopping by!  I hope you all have a fantastic rest of your week!!!