Monday, February 28, 2011

Vanilla Sugar and Fresh Whipped Cream


Hello!  I'm finally back after an unexpected little break...I have been very sick.  I mentioned on one of my posts weeks ago that I had been sick with a terrible cough, well, I never did get better and it just kept dragging on and I finally realized that I needed to stop trying to keep up with everything and just focus on getting better.


The only good thing to come of all that lying around and being sick, was that I officially kicked my {almost} daily Starbuck's habit!  When you are as sick as I was, leaving the house to head to Starbuck's just wasn't realistic, so I devised a few ways at home to make my coffee extra special...


I have been making Vanilla Sugar for awhile now, but mostly as gifts...not any more...I realized it was a great way to add a little extra flavor to my regular cup of coffee.  It is super easy to make, all you need is sugar, a vanilla bean, and a jar with a tight fitting lid...

There are various ways to make Vanilla Sugar, but all I do is cut a vanilla bean in half and then cut that half into 4 or 5 smaller pieces...place them in a canning jar and fill with sugar and you're basically done!  Just shake it once a day for the next 2 weeks to keep the sugar from clumping and to distribute the vanilla flavor and you'll have perfectly flavored sugar!!



Then, to make a cup of coffee really taste like you are at a coffeehouse, try making some fresh whipped cream to top it off!  I use this recipe *HERE*

The whipped cream melts and leaves a delicious frothy layer to your coffee...




Now you know how I kept my sanity while I was sick :))  A good, homemade, cup of coffee mid-afternoon is still one of my favorite pick-me-ups, and now it doesn't cost me $5/cup!

I hope to try and get back into the swing of things and be back more regularly now and to finally get around and see what everyone has been up to lately, I miss everyone...


Happy start to your week!



Tracey