Thursday, February 9, 2012

Salvaged Wood Desk

Happy Thursday!  

My daughter, Halena, has been asking for a desk in her room for awhile now.  I knew that I could tuck a small desk in place of the bookcase we had next to her bed, but the problem was that I couldn't find anything in the size I needed at the flea market {I really wanted the desk to be vintage to compliment the existing furniture in her room}...

So, since I couldn't find what I was looking for, I asked my husband to build a desk to fit the space!

We modeled the desk after a very simple vintage farm table that I have, and used mostly salvaged wood.  

The top is planked, which I love...

I gave the whole thing a fresh coat of paint to unify all of the mismatched wood.  I thought about distressing it, but decided not to since I was going to pair it with the "chippy" window frame that I've had for awhile now...

I taped a few Vintage French Maps onto the window just to bring a little color into this corner of the room...I love the coloring of these old maps and think of them as artwork.

This room is at it's prettiest during the first few hours of the morning, when the sun is shining in full force...

The bed in here is painted in Valspar's Notre Dame color, and the new desk uses that same paint as the base color, but I mixed in some left over white and grey paint that I needed to use up.

Other grey colors I love to use by Valspar {from Lowe's} are:

Comet Dust


Granite Dust
 {this is the color I used on the garage doors in my studio, I just mixed a little white paint in with it to lighten it a bit}

Thanks so much for stopping by!  Enjoy your day!!