Monday, September 24, 2012

Chateauneuf-du-Pape



If you ever make it to Provence, I highly recommend signing up for a wine tour.  We checked all the recommendations in Rick Steves' France 2012 book and chose to schedule a half day private wine tour with Celine from Le Vin a la Bouche...and it was well worth it!

The day we went on our tour, the sun was blazing and we had been at the flea market all morning, so we were plenty ready to sample some wines! :)




We chose to tour wineries in the Chateauneuf-du-Pape region...and let me just say, there are some seriously good wines produced in this area of France!!!




We completely lucked out while we were on one of our tours, because a truck filled with freshly picked grapes that had just been harvested pulled up and dropped them off only a few feet from where we were happily sipping some wine.  It was so cool to get to see what happens as grapes begin their process into becoming wine!




This large machine takes the grapes, strips them off the stems and then spits the stems out...sending the grapes on to be juiced...






All in all, it was a pretty fun way to spend the afternoon!



Hope you enjoy the rest of your evening ~







14 comments:

Splenderosa said...

So much fun joining Rick Steves. What a great idea. xx's

martinealison said...

Je suis ravie que vous ayez aimé nos vignobles français... Après votre belle promenade à travers le marché aux puces, celle de la visite des vendanges c'est formidable et effectivement rien de mieux qu'une dégustation.
Merci pour vos belles publications et vos généreuses photos.
Gros bisous

PURA VIDA said...

makes me thirsty!

Lorrie Orr said...

We toured wineries in the same area a few years ago. It was so much fun. I love that you were there for the harvest. We were there in June, so the grapes were just growing on the vines. Still very interesting.

Botanic Bleu said...

Isn't life great! You could never have planned to be at a winery at exactly the right time to see the grapes delivered. Thank you for sharing the photos.

Geli said...

Hello Tracey! I love wine from France! Very beautiful photos! Have a lovely day!

vicki archer said...

Chateau Neuf is a wonderful area... what a great idea to do a half day... I must...as I am only down the road and have never done that... ISn't that silly... the wonderful things so close to us we often neglect... xv

Jeane M. said...

Wow! Provence is sure lovely, been dreaming of going there for quite some time. Now craving for some finest wine. Got my eye on your next posts.

Laura @ 52 FLEA said...

Loved this post...so interesting!
My husband only began to enjoy wine after our trip to France. I perhaps could tempt him to go back with a wine tour as part of the trip! Thanks for sharing it all with us. :)

Julia said...

I'm French, and I never made a wine tour. I'd love to, it seemed great!

Susan said...

Ooh la la! Sound like a wonderful day in the wine region, Tracey. How fortunate that you could see the grapes coming in and enjoy the 'fruits' of the labor there.
I love the Rick Steve's Europe show on PBS! He makes me want to jump on a plane tomorrow. :)

An Eye for Detail said...

Short of going down to Provence, I am enjoying just drooling over all the wines in the grocery stores here in Paris! I always get such a kick out of the incredible prices here: just bought a Gigondas red for about $7.00: amazing!

Chrissy said...

Oh thank you for the reprieve from my day to sit and remember my trip to France a few years back. Ahhh, yes sunshine, vineyards, wine, great food and wonderful scenery.
Thanks for sharing,

Chateauneuf du Pape said...

This looks brilliant, love the pictures!